Saturday, June 30, 2012

My New Views of NYC

     The Gotham New York Experience Core 390-01 class has come to an end!!!   I have to say I am so ashamed of myself.  I was born here and never had imagined that there was so much to do in NYC.  There is so much more then just shopping, and the night life.  There is just so much history to be learned.  In this month I feel that I have grown more as an independent person, and have more knowledge of NYC.  I had never taken the time to explore and see what the city has to offer.  I am so happy that I took this class, even though it turned out much more expensive then it was originally suppose to be when you begin to add up your travel expenses, your meals, snacks and other suveniers that you wanted to pick up at the sites that we visited.  I have a lot more to explore on my own, I can also say that this class has given me the ability to feel like a true New Yorker.  This class was a lot of fun, and good for our health from all the calories we burned.  But it was indeed a great and unique learning experience.
        I mostly learned that Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island, that Brooklyn was once a city of its own, the complexity and reliability of the subway system, the definition and real life examples of gentrification, that George Washington took the oath of office as our first president in Federal Hall, that Wall Street was named after the wall that was once stood there to protect us from British invaders, and much more.  This type of class not only supports the importance and effectiveness of learning through experience but most importantly, it taught me how to lose my fear of riding the subway and hating the city. Everyone should take this adventurous and fun filled opportunity!  The best memories gained in this class that will remain with me forever are the friendships established, the excitement and inspiration from all the museums and streetlights, and all the energy and sophistication from the people in the city.  New York City is like no other and it is no wonder why some call it the capital of the world.  For me, the best moment in this class was walking across the Brooklyn Bridge.  It gave me a great sense of accomplishment.  Never imagined that I was gonna walk it all the way! But YAY yes I did it and I am so proud of it.   
           NYC is among the most diverse cities in the world and it is full of opportunities. It is the place where many persevere and succeed.  I am now more eager to go and explore more of what the city has to offer whenever I get a chance.  I now feel much more knowledgeable and more open minded.

Thank you Professor Hey and Professor Russo for this wonderful opportunity!!! Hope to see you guys in campus while I am finishing up for my Paralegal Certificate in  September. 

Great memories... She got pooped on 



Our Awesome Professor Russo

No comments:

Post a Comment